Become a Volunteer Dog Walker
- Using safe animal handling techniques and designated training protocols, remove animals from kennels, leash dogs, and walk or take to play yard for play, training or socialization.
- Under guidance of shelter dog trainer, work with dogs on obedience, sit, stay, down and come.
- Upon request from staff, show dogs to potential adopters and answer questions as needed.
- Scoop feces and dispose of appropriately.
- Maintain clean kennel housing during shift.
- Provide fresh water as needed.
- Alert staff if any medical or behavioral issues are noted.
Special Capabilities and Requirements
- Must be able to provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service and to answer questions in a professional manner, deferring to staff if guidance is needed.
- Must be able to understand, learn and utilize positive reinforcement training protocols.
- Note: This is a physically active volunteer position.
- Attend General Orientation Session.
- Attend 2 – 4 training session(s) with Red Lock Handler.
Ready to Become a Volunteeer?
Fill out the volunteer application here
Expectations of Pet Project Foundation Volunteers:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Submit an application and attend appropriate orientation and training sessions
- Be able to make a commitment of at least 6 months to your volunteer position
- Report to assigned shift on time and stay until the end of your shift
- Notify the volunteer coordinator if you are unable to come in for your assigned shift
- Follow the direction of paid staff at all times
- Learn and follow the policies of the shelter
- Wear clothing appropriate to the season and to your assignment
- Report accidents and bites promptly to staff
- Interact courteously and professionally with staff, guests and volunteers
- Become a member of Pet Project Foundation by paying the annual dues - a volunteer t-shirt is included with initial fee