Become a Volunteer for Our Rabbits
- Set up hopping areas and pens to provide exercise and socialization for rabbits.
- Using safe rabbit handling techniques and designated training protocols, transport rabbits to hopping areas and pens.
- Interact with potential adopters to screen for suitability and to identify those rabbits that provide the best match for that adopter and their home.
- Monitor interactions between potential adopters and rabbits.
- Greet visitors to rabbit area and provide information about our facility and adoptable rabbits in a friendly, professional manner.
- Maintain clean rabbit cages during shift.
- Monitor rabbit health and behavior and report any issues or changes to staff.
- Provide fresh water as needed.
Special Capabilities and Requirements
- Must be able to learn and use safe rabbit handling techniques and practices when interacting with the animals.
- Must be able to learn and retain various protocols and follow direction of staff.
- Must be able to provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service and to answer questions in a professional manner, deferring to staff if guidance is needed.
- Must be able to pick up and carry rabbits to and from hopping area.
- Attend General Orientation Session.
- Attend training session with experienced rabbit volunteer.
Ready to Become a Volunteeer?
Fill out the volunteer application here
Expectations of Pet Project Foundation Volunteers:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Submit an application and attend appropriate orientation and training sessions
- Be able to make a commitment of at least 6 months to your volunteer position
- Report to assigned shift on time and stay until the end of your shift
- Notify the volunteer coordinator if you are unable to come in for your assigned shift
- Follow the direction of paid staff at all times
- Learn and follow the policies of the shelter
- Wear clothing appropriate to the season and to your assignment
- Report accidents and bites promptly to staff
- Interact courteously and professionally with staff, guests and volunteers
- Become a member of Pet Project Foundation by paying the annual dues - a volunteer t-shirt is included with initial fee