Become a Volunteer in Our Cat Room
- Socialize shelter cats to ensure they are able to more easily bond with potential adopters
- Interact with potential adopters to help screen for suitability and to identify those cats that provide the best match for that adopter and their home.
- As appropriate, take cats to get-acquainted room for visits with potential adopters; monitor adopter interaction with those cats housed in multi-cat suites.
- Clean get-acquainted room between cats to prevent disease transmission and remind the public to wash their hands between each animal interaction.
- Greet visitors to cat room and provide information about our facility and adoptable cats in a friendly, professional manner.
- Groom cats as needed to improve coat and provide socialization.
- Maintain clean cat suites and cat cages during shift by scooping and cleaning litter boxes.
- Provide fresh water as needed.
- Monitor cat health and behavior and notify staff of any issues or changes.
Special Capabilities and Requirements
- Must be able to learn and use safe cat handling techniques and practices when interacting with the animals.
- Must be able to learn and retain various protocols and follow direction of staff.
- Must be able to provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service and to answer questions in a professional manner, deferring to staff if guidance is needed.
- Must be able to pick up and carry cats to and from get-acquainted rooms.
- Attend General Orientation Session.
- Attend training session with cat volunteer coordinator or their designee.
Ready to Become a Volunteeer?
Fill out the volunteer application here
Expectations of Pet Project Foundation Volunteers:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Submit an application and attend appropriate orientation and training sessions
- Be able to make a commitment of at least 6 months to your volunteer position
- Report to assigned shift on time and stay until the end of your shift
- Notify the volunteer coordinator if you are unable to come in for your assigned shift
- Follow the direction of paid staff at all times
- Learn and follow the policies of the shelter
- Wear clothing appropriate to the season and to your assignment
- Report accidents and bites promptly to staff
- Interact courteously and professionally with staff, guests and volunteers
- Become a member of Pet Project Foundation by paying the annual dues - a volunteer t-shirt is included with initial fee